- Meet with and entertain customers and prospective customers to solicit and respond to leads, by telephone or direct conversations with customers requiring moderate size group accommodations (10-50 guest rooms) for moderately complex meetings and/or meeting space and/or on-site (hotel) catering, based upon leads and account files assigned by the Director of Sales or the Asst. Dir. of Sales. Courteously answer incoming phone calls from persons inquiring about the rental of guest rooms and/or meeting space and/or the purchase of on-site (hotel) catering. Qualify customer, either inquiry related or driven by solicitation, for strategic buying needs and uncover personal buying needs.
- Prepare proposals and/or contracts to advise prospective customers primarily of the hotel guest rooms, but also meeting space and/or banquet date, space and rate availability. Calculate and quote prices within guidelines for same.
- Attend weekly sales departmental meeting and other scheduled meetings to support business operations, e.g., tentative review, lost business review, group-pick up, etc. Conduct site inspections with potential customers, visiting guest rooms, meeting space and banquet facilities, as well as other hotel facilities.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Assist supportive staff with answering of telephones, photocopying, using the fax machines and maintaining sales files.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Edward Hotel & Convention Center, from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required when performing work duties that may have the potential of risk to your health or safety. The hotel will provide the required PPE. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of any assigned PPE. It is your responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE, or equipment that does not fit properly, to your Manager.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Basic hotel product and industry knowledge, i.e., staffing, operations, safety, security, union rules, structural, terminology, fire, police and health codes, hotel policies, city ordinances.
- Basic knowledge of the hotel structure/layout and how all departments interact.
- Basic knowledge of various types of set up styles used in the meeting rooms.
- Basic knowledge of audio visual equipment, telecom equipment, lighting and room temperature control.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Quantitative processing of data via office machine equipment, mathematical computations and analytical skills necessary to accurately determine and communicate financial, forecasting and space utilization calculations.
- Proficiency in the use and operation of computer systems with the ability to navigate efficiently through Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Delphi (or in house sales system), Market Vision, OnQ, InFocus, Internet and Intranet and Optimum Settings (or in house CAD program).
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to fully comprehend guest requests, memos, proposals, general correspondence and similar written materials.
- Possess a good conceptual understanding of electronic devices and the ability to operate such items as copy machines, slide projectors, microphones, computers, portable radios, pagers, etc.
- Ability to complete a contract in compliance with all checklists, standards and hotel policies.
- Interpersonal skills to provide overall guest satisfaction.
QUALIFICATION STANDARDS EDUCATION
Minimum of two years of college level courses with an emphasis on business or communications required. Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Management, Business Administration, Marketing or Communications preferred.
Requires a minimum of one-year experience in guest contact areas of the hospitality industry. Hotel experience preferred. Previous experience in sales, catering or event planning preferred.
The hospitality business functions seven (7) days a week, twenty-four hours a day. In addition, this is a hospitality business and a hospitable service atmosphere must be projected at all times.